Friday, June 11, 2010

A Neurologist's Thoughts

Saw my neurologist yesterday for my regular semi-annual checkup re the migraines. It was the first time I'd seen him since the RA diagnosis. I told him that I'd only had one migraine since the RA started, but that over the last few months I have at times had odd visual disturbances: what looks like black horizontal lines across my entire field of vision. I said I'd mentioned them to my regular doctor and optometrist, both of whom I'd seen in the past couple of weeks, and that they thought they could possibly be migraine auras, even though they never lasted for more than a minute to a few minutes.

My neurologist thought that was possible, that they were auras trying to come out, so to speak. He also thought that all the anti-inflammatory medication I was on for the RA was having a suppressing effect on the migraines, and that there have been studies linking inflammation and migraines. He also said that there are cases of patients being diagnosed with other conditions, like cancer, whose migraines go away.

He didn't say this, but is it a case of a body knowing that you can only handle so much? Now, if only life was like that, too! Hmmm!

Now, I just need to start really trying to wean myself off my migraine meds to see what happens...I really just do not need any more crap in the form of pain or anything right now. But I'm game to slowly, slowly give it a try. And he's such an awesome doctor to make me feel like I'm the one in charge of what to do when and to trust me to do what's right. You gotta like that!

12 comments:

  1. All of my fingers, toes, eyes and legs are crookedly crossed for you, Laurie! I really hope that the transition off of the meds are smooth and painless. You deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx, Pony!! The less meds the better! How are the pies, by the way??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like some interesting information. I hope that that continues as you wean yourself off. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be wonderful if the NSAIDs you're taking are the reason your migraines have lessened to such a great degree, Laurie. Would that they'd ALSO take care of the rheuma! But I guess we can't have everything ...

    I do think you're right, too, about the body only being able to handle so much pain at any given time. I posted about how the rheuma in my hands dropped back several degrees, pain-wise, as my dog-bite wound healed. It was eye-opening, to say the least.

    Anyhoo, Hope this finds you feeling good right now, and that you'll have a great weekend, with plenty of rest-time along with fun and laughter. Keep smiling ... ;o)
    -Wren

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting (and what a relief). My migraines never had the decency to bugger off when I had a flare, but they have eased since I started the biologics.

    So glad to hear life's easier for you in at least on aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys _ thx for checking in! The news on the migraine front is good. I'll keep you up to date re the meds...once I start. Have a great weekend everyone! :) L

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get migraines, but I would think it would be horrible to deal with both. Here's hoping they won't be back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Superbitch! They are awful, so I'm hoping they'll stay far, far away! :) L

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello and I found your blog via another. I too have suffered with horrible migraines for the better part of my life. We have tried so many drugs to combat them. I was put on plaquenil for the RA/Lupus and they abated some what but are now back full force. But then, my inflammation is up so it stands to reason. I had a head ct done years ago and it showed my vessles were consticted during migraines. I was given drugs to try and open up the vessels, no luck. I've learned to listen to my body. What would put most in bed, I function a bit. When real bed, they put me in bed too! Best of luck with your transition! Gentle hugs. Tazzy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Laurie - I've had migraines since puberty but they've lessened a lot since I went on the RA meds. I still get them now and then, and in fact I seem to get them now when my shoulder is inflamed so I strongly suspect the inflamation and migraine are closely linked. Physio agrees; doc doesn't! I hope yours stay away!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Polly,

    Well there you go! I still haven't had one, but still have had more of those black line episodes...the medical saga continues! Hope you're feeling better.

    :) L

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, I had migraines for years before I got diagnosed with RA, and now I don't have much trouble with them anymore. Thank you for reminding me that the lack of migraines is totally something to be grateful for!

    ReplyDelete